As a fresh-faced 21 yr old, I did a one-year placement at a pharmaceutical company as a synthetic chemist – a position that involves a lot of what is remarkably like cooking but with ‘reagents’ (fancy word for chemicals) instead of ingredients, making potential drugs instead of cakes. I loved the placement, I loved the work and I loved the people so I set about on the pathway to getting back in to the industry. It’s eight years on, I have the qualifications to do the role, I’m applying for jobs and I’m starting to wonder ‘Is this what I want to do? and 'Can I use all the skills I've learnt elsewhere?’

This blog is going to cover my research into what scientists like me are qualified to do that’s not in the laboratory. I’ll do my best to reference websites and people that actually do these jobs and hopefully I can help some people out by sharing what I’m learning. It’ll probably be interspersed with anecdotes and rants from the lab so you can see why I'm leaving this ‘unique’ environment! If you read this, think it’s useful/funny/worth reading, pass on the link – I’d love to know if I’m any good at this writing lark.

Friday 20 September 2013

All PhD-ed and nowhere to go



So, I’ve just got back from the Nature Careers Expo 2013. For those of you that don’t know, ‘Nature’ is one of THE journals that we scientists would all like to get in to - It's like our ‘Vogue’. For several years now they've run a day where different companies pitch themselves to PhD students and PostDocs, and vice versa. Where it differs from your standard university careers fayre is that the exhibitors almost all have vacancies and are genuinely on the look out for ‘talent’, whilst the attendees are, like me, genuinely looking for jobs and not just interested in a novelty gonk and some pens – although there is a lot of that and I left my fair share of free tat, plus a nice T-shirt from Digital Science. I’m not going to describe the entire expo- that’s too time-consuming, not helpful for me and quite boring for you! What I’ll do in this post is describe some good strategies for getting the most out of such an event. This has all been gathered from advice from the careers service and my own experience on the day, see if it helps...


       1. Try to go to see a careers adviser BEFORE the event
 
The excellent careers service at King’s gave me some great tips on the best way to find out what you want without sounding like a self-serving tool. E.g. Don’t ask ‘What can I do because I don’t have THAT skill’, ask ‘What kind of training do you offer to new starters’

They will be able to give you some pointers so that you can narrow down the number of inhibitors you actually want/need to speak to. It's a long day so you need some sort of strategy and a careers advisor can help you to crystallise (no pun intended, chemists) what you want to get out of the day.
  
        2. Prepare

This sound obvious but take the time to at least google all the relevant employers and have an idea what they do. The exhibitors are busy and you can see them start to glaze over as they start to tell you things about the company you can find on Wikipedia.
  
3.  Discount the exhibitors you really don’t need to see

Yes, I know they’re giving away chocolate at the Science in Switzerland stand, but if you’re going to have to fake 20 minutes of interest umming-and-ahhing just buy yourself a Mars bar and move on – there’s not a lot of time at these things and the exhibitors get a bit ‘peopled-out’ by the end of the day. Catch them early! 

4. Once you’ve got your list of 5-10 stands, DON’T start with your favourite!

Whether you clam up, mumble, or, like me, you’re a waffler, we all tend to show a bit of start-of-the-day nerves. You want to make your best impression, so give yourself chance to settle in.

        5. Pick your moment

I did most of my ‘networking’ (Urgh, I know) and quizzing of staff early and not at lunch. The few people I did chat to during lunch were a bit distracted and, frankly, hungry.

        6. Take notes

It's easy to think ‘I’ll remember that, I don’t want to look too keen by whipping out my notebook’ but you won’t. There are a couple of things I wish I’d written down – names, buzzwords, it’s just too easy to forget them within seconds in such a noisy, busy atmosphere. Take down exhibitor names for job application cover letters.
       
     7. Go back for more

I got the best feedback and the most positive reaction from people at stands where, after speaking to them and having a think, I approached them for a second or third time. You want them to remember you, you want a job and it’s a really good chance to speak to someone in the company, so, why not? They’re bombarded with random faces asking the same questions all day, so make yourself stand out with a re-visit.
       
        8. Take their advice

A big part of today was about employers telling us what they want, or employees at the companies telling us what they have that made them desirable. There’s no point in focusing on ‘Oh, but I haven’t done a policy internship’ or ‘I didn't get any opportunity to present as part of my degree’. They don’t care, if you want a job, go the extra mile because plenty of other people are willing to do so to get that job!
  
        9. Follow up

So I haven’t done this yet as it’s 2 hours since the conference ended and I don’t want to be THAT person, but, once I have something I want to say/ask, I fully intend on dropping all the people I spoke to anything from a polite ‘touch-base’ to a full blown job application. Even the jobs you’re not so sure about, there’s no harm in keeping in touch.
    
     10.  Talk to strangers and get their details (see how I avoided the word ‘Network’)

Everyone hates this word- it makes us feel all scummy inside, I know, but, the thing is, we do it all the time. When you start a new job, chat someone up at the bar or even bump in to Steve from Accounting at a Metallica/Rhianna/Justin Beiber gig, it’s all networking really – chatting to someone you didn't know before and finding out if you’ve got any common ground. Usually at conferences, there are the big names at one end, guffawing over some in-joke, the cool-PhD student group at the bar getting hammered, and, if you’re foolish enough to go alone, as I often do, then you can find yourself feeling like the last kid into the lunch-room with no-one to talk to. Today was different, meeting new people wasn’t the subliminal event, as it is at a conference, it was the whole point of the day, so you can genuinely walk up to someone, chat about their work and exchange a business card or e-mail address without feeling weird about it. Honest. 


Other pointers from talks/presentations throughout the day



  • You don’t necessarily need a business card as a lot of the stands have iPads and e-registration for you to leave your details – I got the impression the last thing they want is 412 tiny pieces of paper that they can’t link to a face.

  • Take a CV – I wouldn’t hand them out as they're difficult to tailor to so many exhibitors but, like today, there might be a CV clinic. There will definitely be a number of HR professionals. Who knows you might network yourself into one of them glancing over it with regard to their company? 
  •    The exhibitors are busy – they aren’t there to tell you what job you should do. Try asking them different questions to everyone else to get the most out of them!



In my next blog, I’m going to investigate one of the careers that I looked into today – teaching. More specifically, I’m going to try and fathom the difference between the normal PGCE and the TeachFirst programme, endorsed by the government and who ‘inspire change in education in and outside the classroom. Apparently.

10 comments:

  1. The issue with today life is we make the life of the present individuals an excessive amount of occupied and quick. Today we don't tend to give time or to have any additional time just to discharge our self from a few issues.personal value statements

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Lauren Tedaldi for sharing this highly useful protection here. Once I was obsession of this and hired a person to do something repair the things. Now you just made it easy for me and I can mitigation it myself too.I need biology personal statement. Thanks Im every single one glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MBA announcement of purpose Can be an extremely important record for anybody to organize because it is going to reveal Those associated in the application process which unique qualities a Candidate owns. optometry personal statement service to write my statement and it’s really good for their quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is some preparation needed for a basic research. It has been discussed here in phases. The authors discuss 10 basic steps here. Those who are doing PhD can study and research them. I think personal statement writing services your task will be a lot of easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The matter together with nowadays living will be we all help read here make living with the current men and women a lot of entertained and also speedy. Nowadays we all will not have a tendency to offer moment or have got any additional moment in order to launch our own do it yourself from your handful of concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all problems need the proper management or planning with this we can solve the all problems such as overpopulation, over-production and higher rate of the diseases or of the social and click here to check occupational problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for hard working. Also, it’s help more. new government job circular

    ReplyDelete
  8. Presently the automatons are utilized for the front lines which are worked from the separation and they needn't bother with any pilot for the task of the automaton but you can click on http://www.residencypersonalstatement.biz/fellowship-personal-statement-writing-services/pulmonary-fellowship-personal-statement-writing-service/ for useful work. A man simply sit on the PC and the whole scene is before them on the screen and they slaughter the foes as they are simply playing the diversions.

    ReplyDelete