As a fresh-faced 21 yr old, I did a one-year placement at a pharmaceutical company as a synthetic chemist – a position that involves a lot of what is remarkably like cooking but with ‘reagents’ (fancy word for chemicals) instead of ingredients, making potential drugs instead of cakes. I loved the placement, I loved the work and I loved the people so I set about on the pathway to getting back in to the industry. It’s eight years on, I have the qualifications to do the role, I’m applying for jobs and I’m starting to wonder ‘Is this what I want to do? and 'Can I use all the skills I've learnt elsewhere?’

This blog is going to cover my research into what scientists like me are qualified to do that’s not in the laboratory. I’ll do my best to reference websites and people that actually do these jobs and hopefully I can help some people out by sharing what I’m learning. It’ll probably be interspersed with anecdotes and rants from the lab so you can see why I'm leaving this ‘unique’ environment! If you read this, think it’s useful/funny/worth reading, pass on the link – I’d love to know if I’m any good at this writing lark.

Friday 25 October 2013

#2:Scientific Communicators...

Updated March 2014: I've updated the statuses of my 'favourites', where necessary, and added some new people to the list...

Last October I started looking in to scientific communication, using Twitter, Blogger, Facebook and Google+ to learn as much as possible about who was saying what and how. I had no idea where to start but I quickly built up a selection of people whose tweets and work I liked. I thought it would be useful to list this somewhat random bunch, in order to help anyone else out there who fancies skulking around ('following' on Twitter) these people to see how they communicate their opinions and ideas. And the occasional picture of something cute/funny.

Something that I've noticed is that there is definitely an in-crowd in this 'anti-the-in-crowd' crowd. For example, there's a distinct inner-circle of avid bloggers and science journalists who cover a lot of ground between them, re-tweet each-other's work and all manner of interesting stuff. 

If you're looking around with scientific communication in mind then, as somewhere to start, I would start a Twitter account and follow these people, see what they tweet, WHEN they tweet, what they cover and how they write. Their tweets will lead to articles, events and some really useful blogs. Some people have short blogs of a few paragraphs whilst others lean towards my rambling style. As I said, this is my opinion, to which I hold firmly, whilst being completely aware that it may, in fact, be wrong.

In no particular order I like...

On Twitter...

Carl Zimmer - Writes books, articles for the New York Times and Slate, blogs for National Geographic (often cross-referencing his articles - clever use of directing traffic to his articles) and tweets on all things science-related. Definitely a 'biology' man with lots of books published on evolution but also more esoteric topics like science tattoos of the science-and-pain-loving! 'Revered' is a strong word but he is highly respected, it seems, by all in the community.

Ed Yong - Science writer, blogger at National Geographic and prolific tweeter. He has a very irreverent style that is always informative, often quite funny and regularly takes the piss of science and people he deems 'sub-standard'. He tweets A LOT, often in quick succession and his tweets can be a good running commentary and 'thermometer' on the community. I often wonder how he has time for anything else. His name seemed to get dropped at all classes, courses and workshops I've attended recently.

Virginia Hughes - Another science writer and blogger at National Geographic. She has a more 'serious' tone compared to Ed and tends to tweet on a wider variety of things, including art/photography, travel and conferences. Like her NatGeo writer mates, she uses Twitter to heavily promote all of the writing that she does, as well as the work of others at the same publications as her.

Laurie Winkless - My brother recommended this physicist SciComm-er and, after following her on Twitter and listening to her interview on Speaking of Science (see below), I can see why. She's became the Editor for Nobel Media at just 30 and I think this is really impressive. She's working at a prestigious world-renowned organisation, bringing them into social media circles and spreading their message to a much younger, more dynamic audience than it had before. She's got a book coming out in 2016 called 'Science and the City' which I'll be keeping an eye out for as I love to see scientists drawing attention to the science in everyday life.

Laura Wheeler - Recommended by a marketing professional as 'someone-to-learn-from' in the SciComm community. In the few months since I first wrote this post she's moved from the Communities Co-ordinator at Nature and is now the Community Manager for Digital Science. Watch and learn.

Lou Woodley - She's involved in all things science-social-media-online-technology related, it seems. You can find more info on her blog here. I started following Lou after seeing a lot of her tweets re-tweeted by the people above (further evidence of the 'inner-circle' effect). I've found out about lots of online resources, articles and events through her twitter feed. She's recently started the excellent MySciCareer site with Eva Amsen (see below) which I've lost many hours to, browsing the different career paths of those who started out with science degrees. 

Athene Donald - Physics professor at Cambridge, blogs via Occam's Typewriter. I really like the way she writes about life as a scientist, life as an academic and, well, life.


Hope Jahren. I gave her whole name a sentence because I like her a lot. She's a research scientist, working in Hawaii who writes interesting, inciteful and often tear-jerking prose. She also gets to work in HAWAII. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks hopping around the islands last year and the thought of someone who gets to be this good a writer, a scientist and a resident of this freakishly beautiful part of the world makes my heart hurt. Keep an eye out for the resurrection of @TotalGrasshole. Trust me, it's hard to explain why the tweets of an aggressive grass are so funny, but they are. 

Dean Burnett, aka @GarwBoy (Say, garoo-boy) is a Welsh neuroscientist, comedian, blogger and generally interesting guy. He writes regularly for the Guardian in a style that is thought-provoking, topical and, ultimately, very funny. By the by, he does NOT like Hitler.

Kate Whittington draws wonderfully detailed illustrations. You can find them on her blog here. I also like the way that she writes, peppering anecdotes about saving a bee with species identification and rolled-up-newspaper-threats from her dad (for the bee, not her. I think). 

Eva Amsen is the Outreach Director at F1000Research, serial blogger, co-founder of MySciCareer, pro-open access publishing and regular speaker at SciComm and careers seminars. I was once at a seminar where she got narked at the eternal question 'How do you find the time?' Her response was 'I've never seen the Wire or Breaking Bad, I do other stuff instead'. It's fair to say, I like her attitude to just getting shit done, although she may have a clone, as I'm sure she still manages to do more than most. Oh yeah, she also likes investigating the links between science and music at MusiSci. Like I said, she does lots of things. 

Anonymous tweeters and bloggers have received some attention over the past few months- have a look at this blog post and subsequent comments for some interesting thoughts. I will say that I've often been asked if I'm concerned about potential employers reading this (loosely) careers-based blog and finding it imperfect/wrong/rude/desperately job-seeking. The simple answer is 'Yes', but I do it openly because it never occurred to me that I should do otherwise. Sometimes, I do think of things that I would like to write/rant about but I try and keep myself 'on track' and occasionally this does mean I'm not able to talk about what I want. Anyway, my recommendations for some anonymous tweeters and their blogs has a place here as I feel that, rightly or wrongly, this allows a different level of honesty that would be difficult in the first person. In this spirit, check out BioChemBelle, Dr24hoursDr. Isis and InBabyAttachMode


Miscellany...

Lush green grass at a friday afternoon - Ignoring the strange grammar in the title of this blog leads you to an interesting set of blogs that are used to 'express and share some of our thoughts about the current state of science, its place in society and our lives within this continuously changing discursive environment' - Sounds hard-core, but it's well written (by two people) if only for this candid blog on working in a lab where prior work gets retracted.

Speaking of science - This is an interesting site run by Julie Gould, the Naturejobs web and advertorial editor at Nature Publishing Group. The site acknowledges the myriad ways in which you can be a 'science communicator' and aims to be a repository for interviews (some written, some audio) with people who work in Science Communication - Ed Yong and Laurie Winkless are featured, amongst many others.

Julie Gould has also recently launched a network of science bloggers called Speakers of Science that brings together new people in the SciComm community to try their hand at blogging on different science-related topics. Using cartoons, pictures, videos, text and handy hints for new SciComm attempts, it's ace! (Dislaimer: I am one of the new bloggers and am indebted to Julie for getting me involved!)

PSCI-COM - I can't really complete this post without mentioning this huge site, chock-full of threads, conversations and requests related to all things around 'the public communication of science and public engagement with science'. The most useful thing about this site is that it's a JISCMAIL that you can subscribe to. It's somewhere between a forum and a huge e-mail list where everyone can speak to everyone very easily about anything they need. Generally people abide by etiquette and don't just use it to promote themselves. So far I've learnt of loads of different events and applied for numerous jobs that I heard of through this. It's moderated by Jo Brodie, a veritable font of job adverts, SciComm info and helpful advice on the forum and Twitter. 

In updating this post I've found many more new people to 'follow', websites to scour and blogs to read, but will only add them to this list once I feel that I know a bit more about them. I'll be adding to this post regularly, I hope. In the interest of keeping things as concise as possible I haven't included major organisations such as museums, research councils, festivals etc., you can work that out for yourself.

For all the Twitter sceptics, I posted on my early interactions with this new 'Twitter-verse' and 'blogosphere' (you've got to love the cheesy terminology, if nothing else) and tried to convince you that it's not all just pictures of people's dinner/pets. Although there is a bit of that. And I like it.


---
Potentially useful fact:
It's worth mentioning that at the time of me writing this (Oct 2013), there was a somewhat stormy time going on in the world of SciComm. I only include it here as, if you do intend to look in to this field, then you should know that this has gone on...

It 'started' with the removal of a post from a black female blogger (DNLee) who wrote about being called a whore for not wanting to blog for free - causing a massive backlash questioning whether she would have been expected to work for free, or her post deleted, if she'd been a white male scientist - (answers on a postcard). For a whistlestop tour of the ensuing fiasco see here and here.

The shady behaviour of the editor in question (now fired) and the response from what was supposed to be a higher power (Scientific American took her post down) resulted in a name being added to a year-old post about sexual harrassment. This has caused a complete bombshell as the man in question (Bora Zivkovik) is (was?) a heavyweight in the blogging community, loved and respected (there was a twitter hashtag #IhuggedBora for a while) and quite, quite powerful.

Ok so, rewind. There've been a huge number of posts on this, I'm new to the whole area and couldn't/wouldn't comment on what's going on. The gist of it, as I see it is... in a field that is friendly and often revolves around a very casual and social manner, there are a number of people who seem to think that this is a great opportunity to behave inappropriately towards potential writers. This seems mainly to happen when a young or new writer approaches an established member of the community and, as someone who is looking at maybe moving in to this field, I'd honestly say that it's given me pause for thought. It seems like this goes on a lot but the massive uproar this has caused between supporters/victims and everyone else has probably opened a few eyes to what's, at best, pretty shitty behaviour. As I said, I won't go into detail, most of the blogs about this are pretty heated, but the original posts are here:

This happened: Monica Byrne
This happened: Bora Zivkovik

What I will say is that if, like me, you were initially tempted to think this was bad behaviour but put the huge rhetoric down to a (little) bit of over-reaction then check out #ripplesofdoubt on Twitter to see the impact this can have - it really opened my eyes. 
----

1 comment: